Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Breeders' Cup Post Position Comments

Breeders’ Cup Classic Post Position Draw Quotes

Jerry Moss (owner, Zenyatta, Classic, post 4): “I think she deserves the favoritism [morning-line favorite at 5-2]. She’s a super athlete.”

As to how the decision was made to run in the Classic rather than the Ladies’ Classic: “We all watched everything she did over time, watching works and studying her races. Then we got together Sunday night and said if there is the slightest doubt, we would not run in the Classic. Everybody said she was ready.


“So now I think everybody is in for a treat come Saturday. I love racing and I wish more people felt the same way. I hope maybe this will get more people interested in the game.”


John Shirreffs (Zenyatta, Classic, post 4) – “We’re fine with her post. The way she runs, we didn’t have any strong feeling about a post. He (rider Mike Smith) can put her where he wants her. She’ll be fine.”


[Zenyatta will be the fourth filly to run in the Classic, joining Azeri (finished 5th in 2004), Jolypha (3rd in 1992), and Triptych (6th in 1986)]

Chip Woolley (Mine That Bird, Classic, post 1) - “We’re going to be near the back, so we might as well save ground. It’s good. I’m glad because he won’t have to do a lot of work from there. He was towards the outside in the Goodwood and (jockey) Calvin (Borel) had to work to get back inside. I want him covered up and it will be easy to do from there. It’s the perfect spot. I just told HRTV that I’d be happy to draw the one, two, or three-hole.”


Eoin Harty (Colonel John, Classic, post 2) - “We didn’t want to be stuck right down on the fence, and we didn’t want to be stuck way on the outside either. It is what it is. We’ve got a good long run into the first turn and let’s hope for a clean trip. All the real speed is on the outside so hopefully they can run away and we can come in behind them."


Tim Ice (Summer Bird, Classic, Post 3) – “I like our draw. We’re inside next to Zenyatta in the gate. I just hope she doesn’t intimidate us, as big as she is.”


Bob Baffert (Richard’s Kid, Classic, post 6) – “That’s a good post. I finally got a good post. And it’s for the biggest purse. So that’s a good thing.”


Christophe Lorieul, assistant to Christophe Clement (Gio Ponti, Classic, post 7) - “It’s actually quite a good draw. I haven’t had a chance to look at the PPs yet because Gio Ponti just got here (after his flight from New York), but there is some speed on the inside of us. Hopefully, we’ll get a good trip.”


Helen Pitts-Blasi (Einstein, Classic, post 8) – “I’m happy with it. That’s a real good spot for him. Julien (Leparoux) will be able to pick his spot. He (Einstein) is doing well. We know he loves this track and we know he’ll run his race. He always does, and that’s what counts.”



Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Girolamo, Classic, post 9) – “That’s about right for him, the nine-hole. He should be in a good spot coming out of there.”


Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Regal Ransom, Classic, post 11) – “Of the nine in the U.S. training he’s probably the one that got the worst of all draws, drawing 11 in that field, but there’s not a lot of pace in there and at least it’s a long run to the turn. He’s usually a pretty good horse accelerating out of the gate and hopefully he won’t be compromised too much, but we were looking for five, six, or seven like everybody in there. You can’t have every horse draw a good draw and hopefully it doesn’t hamper him too much.”

Mike McCarthy, assistant to trainer Todd Pletcher (Quality Road, Classic, post 12) – “It’s obviously probably not ideal, but he should be able to get a clean trip. He’s got tactical speed.”

Craig Dollase (Awesome Gem, Classic, post 13) – “The post is not the greatest, but we’ll work with it. He’s in the body of the race and that’s important. We just need to keep him out of trouble and get a good trip. He’s been training really well and we’re ready to go.”

Other Breeders’ Cup Draw Quotes

Angel Penna, Jr. (Diamondrella, Turf Sprint, post 9) - “I just landed at the airport and haven’t seen the field. But since there are 14 horses, that’s a good post. As far as being made the (4-1) favorite, that always adds a little extra pressure. But she’s a good filly.”

Bill Mott (Courageous Cat, Mile, post 6) – “That’s okay. He can’t be more than six-wide around the first turn if he’s in the six-hole. Being 20-1, I was a little surprised.”

Bill Mott (Dynaforce, Filly & Mare Turf, post 7) – “No problem there. I think she could wind up on the lead in here, so that’s not a bad thing. She’s usually pretty close to the front.”

Bill Mott (Mr. Sidney, Dirt Mile, post 8) – “Good post for him in the middle; slightly outside. I think it’s a great post for him. He should get a fairly clean trip from there.”

Bill Mott (Mushka, Ladies’ Classic, post 3) – “That’s good for her, good for me. I don’t see any big issue with it in a two-turn race. I was happy with all my post positions.”

Bob Baffert (Always a Princess, Juvenile Fillies, post 11) – “She’s hung way out there, but these things are the luck of the draw and it’s not disastrous.”

Bob Baffert (Lookin At Lucky, Juvenile, post 11) – “‘Lucky’ is a good horse. I really wasn’t sure where I wanted him, but he is very manageable so it shouldn’t be a problem, and there’s nothing I can do about it anyway.”

Bob Baffert (Zensational, Sprint, post 1) – “Of course I don’t like it, you never like the one hole especially with speed horses, but they all have to break. I was hoping to get the outside and we’re stuck in the one hole, but all the real speed is inside.”

Chad Brown (Maram, Filly & Mare Turf, post 8; Silver Timber, Turf Sprint, post 2) –“I was looking to be more inside for Maram and more outside for the colt. It was kind of the reverse that I wanted, but what are you going to do? The outside probably won’t be a big deal in a long race. She’ll probably be able to drop in. With Silver Timber I was hoping to be outside, so I’m not happy with that.”

Christophe Lorieul, assistant to Christophe Clement (Rutherienne, Filly & Mare Turf, post 3) - “That is a good draw because Forever Together is inside of us. We’ll need to save ground, but it’s good because she has tactical speed.”

Graham Motion (Bullsbay, Dirt Mile, post 4; Smart Seattle, Juvenile Fillies Turf, post 3; Zilva, Juvenile Fillies, post 1) – “I couldn’t be happier with the draw from all of my horses. I would like being inside going a mile and a mile-and-a-sixteenth. Last year, I drew outside, and I think it compromises horses being outside. In the Breeders’ Cup, you need as much going for you as you can have. (Jockey) Jeremy (Rose) likes to be inside, so I’m sure he’s happy.

“I’m a little bit surprised (by Bullsbay’s 3-1 morning-line odds). I don’t think he’ll be that short in the betting. I think mainly because of the surface. I think some people will question it.”

Ian Wilkes (Capt. Candyman Can, Sprint, post 8) – “Any post would have been fine. Zensational has natural speed, and from the rail, he has to go. Fatal Bullet should be right out there with him. The faster they go, the better for us.”

John Sadler (Cost of Freedom, Sprint, post 2) – “I like being outside of Zensational (race favorite drawn in No. 1). It will give us a chance to press him.”

John Sadler (Evita Argentina, Filly & Mare Sprint, post 6) – “All in all, it’s a mixed bag. I’m happy with some – not so much so with others. Evita Argentina’s spot is a good one. Going seven-eighths that post (No. 6) works just fine.”

John Sadler (Noble Court and Get Funky, Turf Sprint, post 1 and post 5) – “Get Funky and Noble Court are in tough spots, especially Noble Court. You know that race features the only right-handed turn in America and you want to be outside. But we’re inside, so we’re just going to do the best we can with it. That’s all we can do."

John Sadler (Whatsthescript, Mile, post 2) – “His draw is excellent. You’ll remember he was drawn all the way outside last year (when he finished third). With that kind of draw you all but ensure yourself that you’re going to have to go wide. But the draw this time will be much, much better. I like this one a lot.”

Josie Carroll (Careless Jewel, Ladies’ Classic, post 1) - “You’re never crazy about the one-hole, but she won out of there in her last race (the Fitz-Dixon Cotillion at Philadelphia Park on Oct. 3) and did so in such impressive fashion. As for being the (2-1) favorite, I don’t know what to say. It’s going to be a very tough race.”

Ken McPeek (Noble’s Promise, Juvenile, post 4; Bridgetown, Juvenile Turf, post 7; House of Grace, Juvenile Fillies Turf, post 7; Beautician, Juvenile Fillies, post 4, and Connie and Michael, Juvenile Fillies, post 6) - “They all drew well. I’m happy. I think 8-to-1 is the longest odds we had. We had two 4-to-1s, a 6-to-1, and another 8-to-1, so we’re getting respect. That’s good. This is the best bunch of fillies we’ve brought here. I’m pretty confident in that, and the colts are nice too. They’re all doing really well.”

Patrick Biancone (Pulsion, Juvenile, post 6) - “If I had to choose, I would take that. I would have liked to have number seven, but I’ll take that.”

Patrick Biancone (Zip Quik, Juvenile Turf, post 1) - “I would have picked the one for Zip Quik.”

Reade Baker (Fatal Bullet, Sprint, post 3) - “I’m happy. Zensational is on the inside of us and that’s just what we wanted.”

Reade Baker (Biofuel, Juvenile Fillies, post 12) - “I’m happy with both of my posts (Fatal Bullet drew three in the Sprint). She comes from behind and is going to fall back, so being on the outside, nobody can squeeze us down in there on the inside.”

Richard Mandella (Lord Shanakill, Turf Sprint, post 4; Crown of Thorns, Sprint, post 4) – “Heck, I’m just happy to be here. I like both of my draws. The four works fine for me. It ought to work fine for my horses, too. Now we’ll see if we can go out there and do some good.”

Rick Dutrow, Jr. (Court Vision, Mile, post 1) – “All we want to is to save ground, pull a good trip and come with a good run. I love the rail for him. I’m very excited, babe.”

Rick Dutrow, Jr. (D’ Funnybone, Juvenile, post 5) - “I’m very happy with our draw for D’ Funnybone. (Edgar) Prado knows the horse very, very well. Like I keep saying, if he likes that track they’re going to be in trouble because the light has gone on with this horse since the Futurity.”

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Cocoa Beach and Music Note, Ladies’ Classic, post 6 and post 7) – “In this race, in an eight horse field, drawing six and seven, Careless Jewel is obviously going to be the speed from the inside and both fillies should pull the trips they need to from those posts. I don’t think they’re real significant one way or another.”

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Gayego, Sprint, post 5) – “This was a really good draw for him. All the speed drawing one, two, and three; he should be in the right spot with Garrett (Gomez). No complaints there.”

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Midshipman, Dirt Mile, post 3) – “That’s a good draw, the three-hole with the quick run to the turn. He should be forwardly placed there so we’re happy with that draw.”

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Pyro, Dirt Mile, post 7) – “Seven out of 10 is probably about right with him, he’s been running in one-turn races going to a two-turn race; he should pull the right trip. The whole question with him is whether he can handle the surface, but the post is a good post, I think, for him.

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Sara Louise, Filly & Mare Sprint, post 2) – “You probably would have liked four or five, to have her outside a little bit more, but there’s not a lot of pace in this race so she should pull a pretty good trip. Maybe it won’t hamper her that much.”

Rick Mettee, assistant to trainer Saeed bin Suroor (Seventh Street, Filly & Mare Sprint, post 8) – “Coming out of a two-turn race and shortening back up to a one-turn race, that shouldn’t be real significant, that’s a good draw for her. Of all the nine draws we have to be happy, you can’t expect to get all perfect draws for all nine horses.”

Rick Sacco, brother of trainer Gregg Sacco (Piscitelli, Juvenile, post 2) “That’s fine. We can save ground going into the first turn and then see how the race sets up. The post position is fine.”

Steve Hobby (Telling, Turf, post 1) – “Presious Passion will go, so it should be a strung out field. It’s not a big field, and there’s a lot of running to do over this distance (1 ½ miles). Any ground we can save is in our favor.”

Wayne Catalano (She Be Wild, Juvenile Fillies, post 8) – “We’re on the outside looking in, so we should be able to sit wherever we want. My wife just reminded me that Crypto Star was number eight when he won the (1996) Louisiana Derby. A number is just a number.”

No comments:

Post a Comment