Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Eating my "Derby Hat"


It dawned on me tonight that I wrote a couple of weeks ago about the two "Bird" horses that started in the Kentucky Derby - Mine That Bird and Summer Bird. The title of the piece was "Send in the Clowns or Birds" which was my way of saying that neither horse could win the Kentucky Derby.

Now, of course, I was one of many, many people who echoed that sentiment but I wanted to acknowledge that I could not have been more wrong about Mine That Bird. I tip my hat (and eating my Derby handicapping hat at the same time) to trainer Chip Woolley and jockey Calvin Borel for an outstanding job. They deserve all the credit.

Looking ahead to the Preakness, Mine That Bird will again be questioned by many (including yours truly) to see if he can repeat his Derby performance.

There appears to be a host of challengers either seeking a rematch or waiting for their first chance.

I will not make any prediction yet as to who will win the Preakness but you can be sure it will be as wide open a race as the Derby.

But, there will be a small part of me rooting for Mine That Bird and all of his connections. They would make a very interesting and somewhat compelling story if there was a Triple Crown on the line.

And you just have to know that Borel would love another shot at winning the Preakness after his narrow and crushing loss to Curlin just two years ago while riding Street Sense in 2007.

I will give everyone a look at the Preakness contenders in my next entry and let me know who you think will win because I was very wrong on Saturday.

Photo courtesy of Eclipse Sportswire

No comments:

Post a Comment