Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Maiden Voyage

Welcome to my new blog. Before we get this race started, a quick introduction is in order for those who don't me. (If you already know me, please skip ahead a couple of paragraphs.)

My love of horse racing started when I was a kid watching racing at Aqueduct and Belmont in New York. I then moved my tack to Louisville to attend the University of Louisville's Equine Administration program. While finishing up my degree in 1996, I began an internship at Churchill Downs and landed a full-time job there upon graduation in 1997. While rounding the final turn of my Churchill tenure (ok, 2003), I began
co-hosting the Kentucky Winners Circle Radio Show with E.J. Clark (for those in Louisville: Saturdays, 11am, WKJK-1080 on your AM dial).

I moved back to New York in November 2004 but my love of racing has endured. I still co-host the radio show and attend the races frequently.

Now that we've crossed the finish line on my bio to-date, it's on to the blog. It is my sincerest hope that the perspective and insights I have into the racing world are both informative and intriguing (and perhaps find you a winner for the betting windows).

To say this weekend is incredibly important for the Kentucky Derby contenders, is an understatement. The potential field is starting to take shape but it looks like more than 20 want to be in the starting gate.

And what complicates it even more is that one spot is already reserved for Mafaaz, the winner of the Kentucky Derby Challenge Stakes in England last month. So with only 19 spots left, and six major races before the Derby, the scramble for cash is on.

This week's race to keep a close eye on are:
Wood Memorial at Aqueduct in NY
Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita in Los Angeles
Illinois Derby at Hawthorne in Chicago

I will update the horses to watch and the crucial money chase on Thursday.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment