Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sampling of Quotes from the Winning Connections

I thought you might enjoy reading a few snippets of what trainer Steve Asmussen and owner Jess Jackson had to say after Rachel Alexandra won the Woodward. Jackson said the most relative to if and when we will see Rachel again this year.

Steve Asmussen:

“I thought she truly showed she was a champion today. I can’t say enough, first of all, about Jess and the guts they’ve shown by continuously putting out there and raising the bar with a tremendous filly. I’m just extremely proud to be associated with her. I’m proud of the whole team, (assistant trainer) Scott Blasi, (exercise rider) Dominic Terry, it was a very emotional win.”

(What will he look for in the coming days?) “I’ll watch her appetite, I rely heavily on Scott and Dominic … every single little nuance about her, how she acts in her stall, exactly how long it takes her to eat, the whole nine yards. The filly has been tremendously consistent and we’ve been blessed with her consistency as well as her greatness.”

Jess Jackson:

“She’s been tested early two or three times now, and she’s had the courage and fortitude to finish, and with an attitude to hang in there and win. That’s a very exceptional horse, male or female, and for her to do that with six giant males racing with her was something special. I don’t know if you saw it, but she looked like she was only a 3-year-old with those horses. And yet she held in there with her spirit. I want to thank Saratoga. It’s always been a special place for me and my family and racing. And Curlin won this same race last year so it has special meaning for me and our team and I hope for Steve as well. What we need now are more stars, and I think she is one. I hope we can see her come out healthy, give her a nice race and give you a campaign in 2010.”

(On Zenyatta) “I can’t predict. It depends on both horses coming out and what both camps would be willing to do. I’ve indicated Rachel’s had a full race year already. It might be that they get together, but I can’t predict that. It takes two to [tango], but it better be a good venue or neither one will come.”

(On Horse of the Year) “Somebody else will decide that, but I hope so. I think she’s something for the ages and she’s certainly proven her mettle. On the earlier question about her attitude, she is a fighter. After blazing those fractions and in the Haskell, she still won. And maybe this wasn’t a pull-away victory, but if we run her again, the next one will be. She was, in my opinion, a little down today, but she still won and that’s the courage and fight she has.”

(on another race in 2009?) “I can’t honestly say. Hal (Harold McCormick) and I will have to talk about it and Steve’s going to have to bless her coming out and what her condition is. She’s run more races than Zenyatta’s run, and Zenyatta’s 5 years old. You can’t expect a young youngster – she’s only 3 – running against older horses, running against older mares – you can’t expect them to keep going all the time. You have to give them a break, and we’ll talk that over very seriously.”

No comments:

Post a Comment